- You will need two skewers for this recipe. Metal skewers are ideal as they are more robust, but wooden skewers will work too. If you are using the latter, soak them in cold water for at least 10 minutes to stop them burning. Then oil each skewer so it goes into the potato more easily.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C, 190°C fan. Prepare the spice mix and set aside.
- Using steady hands push a skewer through the centre of each potato. Then using a small sharp knife, carefully push the knife in one end of the potato until it reaches the skewer and rotate the potato around as you create a spiral shape through the whole potato (ideally the potato pieces will be between 0.5 and 1cm thick). When you have finished, steadily pull the potato out so that it uncoils along the skewer.
- Use a pastry brush to thoroughly coat each potato with oil, then sprinkle liberally with the spice mix until you have full coverage. Place the tornados in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until they are cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Make the lime mayo by mixing all the ingredients together and serve alongside the tornados as soon as they come out of the oven.
Take a peek at our video below and many more potato recipe videos on our video hub.