This isn’t your usual pancake recipe, instead of using batter this recipe uses potatoes to form a delicious base for toppings. Using mashed avocado and smoked salmon, this method pulls delightful flavours together for a rich, delicious taste.
- In a large bowl mix together the potato, spring onion and seasoning. Lightly whisk the flour and baking powder with the milk (100ml at first) and zest. Add to the mash and whisk well.
- Check the seasoning and consistency (add a little extra milk if the mix is too stiff, but it should still be thick).
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. When hot, pour in the batter, using a spatula to spread the mix out as its quite thick.
- When the pancake has puffed up and browned beneath (about 2 minutes), carefully flip over to cook on the other side.
- To serve, place a pancake on each plate, top with the smashed avocado (seasoned with salt & pepper and lemon juice), a handful of watercress or rocket leaves and the smoked salmon.
- If you are adding a poached egg, place this on top of the salmon. Squeeze extra lemon and drizzle a little olive oil over the top to finish.
This recipe works well with leftover mash too.