- The easiest way to thinly slice your potatoes is to use mandolin. Alternatively take your time and use a sharp knife making sure the potato slices are consistent.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick medium or large non—stick frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a layer of potatoes to the pan, followed by 1/3 of the beef, 1/3 of the onion mix and 1/3 of the thyme. Repeat twice building up the layers and finishing with a layer of potato slices.
- Pour in the beef stock, cover with the lid and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to moderate. Pop the pan under the grill to crisp up over the surface.
If you fancy replace the beef stock with chicken stock and the leftover cooked roast beef or chicken and cook in the same way.
Follow steps 1-3, then pour in the beef stock, cover the dish with either cling film of parchment paper and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes, rest the dish for 5 minutes then microwave again on HIGH for 5 minutes, rest for a few minutes then serve.
Check out the accompanying video for this recipe below and while you’re at it have a look at our range of potato recipe videos.