These great-tasting croquettes are crispy on the outside and full of warm cheesy mashed potato mixed with ham on the inside – simple and delicious!
- Heat the oven to 200°C, 180°C, Fan, Gas Mark 6.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Season well, add the nutmeg.
- Slowly whisk in the milk on a medium heat. Add the bay leaf, if used and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Mix in the cheese, potato and ham and stir well. Leave for five minutes to infuse.
- Remove the bay leaf and spread the mixture out into an even rectangle on a cling film lined oven tray.
- Score into 16 rectangles. Take each rectangle, roll into a short, fat sausage and roll through the breadcrumbs. Repeat until finished.
- Remove the cling film from the baking tray, spray the croquettes with a little cooking oil and cook for 8-10 minutes until warmed through. Don’t cook too long or they will start to spread and collapse.
- Serve warm with spicy tomato salsa.