A classic Italian pasta dish featuring soft potato dumplings known as gnocchi, smothered in a rich, tangy marinara sauce. It’s a beloved Italian comfort food, simple yet delightful.
- Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until tender, drain and mash, making sure the potatoes are as lump-free as possible.
- Place the mash in a large bowl and season. Add the flour and mix together to form a dough. Knead for a couple of minutes.
- Split the dough into 2 and roll each into a sausage shape. Cut the dough into 2cm pieces and using the back of a fork press gently to form an authentic gnocchi shape.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the sauce, fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil over a low heat until soft, add the tomatoes and season. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
- Cook the gnocchi in the boiling water until they rise to the surface, drain.
- Add the gnocchi to the tomato sauce, mix gently and tip into a large ovenproof dish. Top with the mozzarella and cook under a preheated moderate grill for a few minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve with a crisp salad.