Delightful South Indian fritters bursting with bold flavours. These savoury treats feature a harmonious blend of lentils, chickpeas, and potatoes, spiced to perfection. The result is a crispy exterior that gives way to a soft, flavourful interior. Dhal Vada is a popular snack enjoyed for its irresistible taste and textural contrast.
- For the chutney blitz all the ingredients together in a small blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Boil the potatoes until soft (about 10 minutes). Drain and cool.
- At the same time, simmer the lentils and chana dhal for 20 minutes with the turmeric. Mash with a wooden spoon and thicken a little on medium heat. Stir in the both chillies and garam masala.
- Mix in the potatoes and mash everything well together. Shape into balls.
- Mix the chickpea flour and water together to make a light batter.
- Heat an inch or two of rapeseed oil in a deep pan and dip the balls in the batter then fry them in batches until crisp and golden.
- Garnish with the extra coriander leaves and chillies and serve with the chutney.