A quick and satisfying twist on the classic comfort food. In just half an hour, you can savour this hearty, homemade meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights, or anytime you crave a taste of home.
- Place prepared potatoes into a large pan. Cover with just enough boiling water to cover and fast simmer with the lid on for about 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile place the beef, onion, garlic and carrot in a cold pan. Place on the heat, ‘dry fry’ until brown for about 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, herbs and ketchup (add a splash of beef stock if a little too thick). Season, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Preheat the grill to moderate.
- Drain the potatoes; add the milk and mash. Place the mince mixture into a shallow dish, top with a thin layer of mash and dot with the butter or margarine. Place under the grill for 5-10 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Serve with seasonal green vegetables or salad leaves.