What better way to start your New Year health-kick, than with this hassle-free Cleansing Japanese Miso Potato and Chicken Broth. Enjoy the tasty combination of perfectly cooked potatoes and chicken along with traditional miso flavours for an interesting soup alternative.
- In a large soup pot, bring 1 litre of water to a boil. Add the finely diced potatoes to the boiling water and cook for about 10-12 minutes until they are tender but not mushy. Carefully remove the potatoes from the water and set them aside.
- Add the sliced lemon peel and ginger matchsticks, to the potato water. Bring the water to a gentle simmer and let it infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, white pepper, Japanese rice vinegar, and the runny honey. Stir to combine and let the flavours meld for a few more minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the miso paste with a bit of the hot broth until it forms a smooth mixture. Stir the miso mixture into the pot with the infused water. Allow it to dissolve into the broth.
- In a separate pan, cook the chicken breasts until they are fully done. Once cooked, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces using two forks.
- Return the cooked and drained potatoes to the soup pot. Add the shredded chicken and finely sliced spring onion. Gently heat the soup until all the ingredients are warmed through.
- Serve your Cleansing Japanese Miso Potato and Chicken Broth hot, garnished with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice (from the reserved lemon juice).
This revitalizing Japanese broth features a balance of flavours and a blend of wholesome ingredients, making it a delightful and satisfying choice for a cleansing meal.
Tip: As an alternative you could use up any left over chicken. Simply skip step 5, shred the leftover chicken and add to the broth in step 6.