A potato treat… combining the rich flavours of chocolate with the moist and tender texture of potatoes. Both sweet and slightly dense, offering a unique and delightful twist on traditional chocolate cake.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light in colour and creamy. Beat in each egg separately until the mixture is smooth again.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa and baking powder and stir these in lightly to the butter and sugar mixture. Lastly stir in the potato and milk.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 10 inch cake tin and bake in a moderate oven 190°C, 170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5 for 35-40 about minutes or until a skewer comes out from the centre clean. Once cooked turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing; Sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl then whisk in the juice of half an orange to make a thick paste that will pour over the cake but not completely run off.
- Pour the icing over the cooled cake then sprinkle over the orange zest.