A delightful and savoury Chinese-inspired twist to the traditional bubble and squeak. Resulting in a tasty and comforting potato-based dish with a unique texture, and a blend of flavours.
- Put the potatoes in a large plastic (microwave proof) bowl. (The potatoes will cook quicker if not packed too densely – bigger bowl in thinner layer works best!).
- Rinse the potatoes in cold water, drain and return to the bowl with a small splash of water, garlic and Chinese 5 spice powder. Cover with plastic plate or cling film and cook for 6-8 minutes on HIGH in the microwave.
- Remove from the microwave and leave to stand for 1 minute. Drain, add knob of butter or low fat spread and mash until smooth.
- Add the beansprouts, carrot, Pak choi, seasoning and the plum sauce then mix well.
- Take a handful of the mixture, shape into a small ball and then flatten with the palm of your hand. The mixture should make about 8. Lightly dust with flour.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and carefully cook potato squeaks for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper – you may need to wipe out the pan half way through with kitchen paper and use a fresh batch of oil
- Garnish with the spring onions and additional plum sauce for dipping.
Tip: The potato squeaks are not suitable for freezing.