This recipe was created especially for St Patrick’s Day 2018 and makes use of some fundamental Irish ingredients to create a beautiful hash brown dish which can be enjoyed at any point of the day!
- Chop the raw potatoes into 1cm pieces.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of salted water and boil until cooked. Remove from the pan and drain. Once the excess water is removed, season the cooked potato well with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the potatoes to the pan, spread out and resist the urge to move them about until they’re crispy on the underside. When all sides have crisped up, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- Add the bacon lardons. Once crispy, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat to low and add the onion, cooking for 5 mins until softened before adding the cabbage. Cook until everything is soft, about 10 minutes. Return the potatoes and lardons into the pan, turn up the heat and toss for several minutes so that the potatoes are heated through.
Tip: the cheddar in and toss again to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.