A flavourful and hearty dish that combines tender pieces of lamb with potatoes and a fragrant blend of spices and herbs.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan
- Lay the lamb on a plate and dry excess moisture with kitchen towel. Season with salt, pepper and the cumin seeds.
- Layer the bottom of a small, heavy casserole dish (approx. 18cm) with potatoes (lying them flat), reserving the rest for the lid. Put this casserole dish to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the meat until brown, in batches if necessary, then lift out and place into the casserole dish, along with the raw carrots. Tuck everything in so that the carrots are evenly mixed through.
- Lower the heat and add the onion to the pan, cooking until soft (about 10 mins). Add the flour and stir until it absorbs excess liquid, then pour in the stock and pomegranate molasses, seasoning, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Pour this into the casserole dish. Layer the remaining potatoes on top, in an overlapping pattern, then top with the casserole lid and place the dish in the oven for an hour and a half.
- After 1 1/2hrs check that the potatoes are very soft. If they are, remove the lid, brush a little oil over the potatoes and turn the heat up to your oven’s hottest setting to brown the potatoes for 15 minutes (alternatively finish using the grill).
- Serve with yoghurt, chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds.