Your top jacket potato hacks and recipes
The perfect comfort food choice as well as a popular working from home lunch? It can only be jacket potatoes. All lovely crispy, golden skin on the outside and heartwarming fluffy and soft on the inside. They’re an excellent vehicle to try lots of different topping ingredients and flavours with.
Recently fellow jacket potato lovers took to Twitter to join in the UK trending #JacketPotatoHacks chat to share popular toppings, baked potato cooking hacks and all-round spud love. Check out the hashtag on Twitter, have a look at some of our favourite tweets below or browse our recipe collection for more inspiration.
Top tips for perfect jacket potatoes
Whether it is a cooking hack passed on from family, read online or something you discovered yourself there are lots of ways to help you get the most out of your jacket potatoes. We’ve included some of your top tips and you can read our recommendations too on how to get a perfect jacket potato:
#JacketPotatoHacks Cook the potatoes in the microwave until almost done. Then rub the skin with vegetable oil, sprinkle with coarse sea salt and put into a very hot oven for 10 minutes. That way you get really tasty and crispy "jacket".
— Ritchie Dee (@ritchie_dee) February 9, 2021
My best hack without fail from my US friends: push a skewer through the potato lengthwise, it will heat up in the oven as your potato bakes and help cook the center more quickly and thoroughly! #JacketPotatoHacks #TheNewPackedLunch #AHDBpotatoes
— Vanessa Cox (@CoxeeFoxy) February 9, 2021
It's also possible to microwave them for a few minutes then, after adding a bit of oil and salt to the sking, pop them in the air fryer (if you have one) for a much quicker crisp than putting them in the oven. #JacketPotatoHacks #TheNewPackedLunch #AHDBpotatoes
— Anglorain (@Anglorain) February 9, 2021
@BritMums I always cook mine in the slow cooker. Stab them with a fork a few times, wrap them in foil and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Uses less energy and they taste amazing. Game changer 👌 #JacketPotatoHacks
— H (@milkpetal) February 9, 2021
#JacketPotatoHacks When oven on for roasting or making a casserole use the space available to bake some potatoes. They can be halved and frozen for use at another time.
— Ann (@annpan) February 9, 2021
We do a little buffet of different toppings in separate bowls / containers and everyone has a potato on their plate and then can help them self… I find it encourages adults and children to try new combinations and new flavours and also makes it a simple #JacketPotatoHacks
— 💜 ⭐️ Rachel Neary 🙂💕 (@YellowPinkVibe) February 9, 2021
I do think different potatoes are good for different things, but agree that King Edward's are great for a jacket, Maris Piper are a great all rounder #JacketPotatoHacks
— Kara (@ChelseaMamma) February 9, 2021
Vegan and vegetarian filling suggestions
We know that potatoes are often a key ingredient in lots of vegetarian dishes. We also know we want more choice than just baked beans and cheese (although sometimes you can’t beat a classic!). Have a look through some of these veg-filled ideas below. The versatility of a jacket potato lunch is one of the reasons we love them so much!
- One of my favourite grown up toppings for a jacket potato is Mediterranean roast vegetables with houmous – absolutely delicious, vegan and healthy! @Thrifty_Mummy_
- My daughter loves them with smashed avocado! @missielizzieb
- My favourite is French Onion Jacket Potato — twice baked and a delicious treat between a decadent French onion soup and a simple jacket potato all combined together. @coxeefoxy
- I love mine with avocado and vegan ‘chicken’ mayo. Perfect with salad and some seeds sprinkled on top. @TheBeesleyBuzz
- Cauliflower cheese is sooo good on a jacket potato @Beckielise
- If I’m not in a rush I like to scoop out the cooked potato & mix it with egg yolks, soured cream/yoghurt, parsley & spring onions. Whisk the egg whites & fold them into the potato mixture. Bake again. @anglorain
- Cream cheese and pineapple – seriously delicious in a fluffy jacket potato. @Siobhan_Lucy
- A mixed mushroom stroganoff jacket potato. @CoxeeFoxy
- If you haven’t had goats cheese and pesto on a jacket potato, you haven’t lived. @escapeveloxity
- Mexican peppers & Onions — I thinly sliced peppers & onion, fry gently mixed with some fajita seasoning mix & then add to our crispy jacket potatoes. Sometimes accompanied by sour cream or guacamole Mexican Jacket Potato meal @gottobei
Share your best #JacketPotatoHacks at the Twitter Chat! Join TODAY at 1 pm! @LovePotatoes @britmums #TheNewPackedLunch #AHDBPotatoes https://t.co/jWjpf99SXB
I love making these jacket potato mice for my children.They help to create them too!Cheese, carrots, peas, breadsticks! pic.twitter.com/HPXUUJTQJh
— Rachel Smith (@RachelLou09) February 9, 2021
Jacket potato toppings with meat
Jackets make a great base to build on and make a hot lunch the way you like it best. The versatility of a jacket potato is one of the reasons we love them so much!
#ad What are your favourite family meals? Stuffed Jackets Potatoes are a fave in our carb-conscious house, they feel like such a treat, yet are easy to make! https://t.co/qMr9P1PWyB @BritMums @LovePotatoes #JacketPotatoHacks #TheNewPackedLunch#AHDBPotatoes pic.twitter.com/C6KvgZjH7Z
— Extraordinary Chaos (@sarahjchristie) February 8, 2021
- My husband and I like chicken and mushroom stroganoff as an “adult” topping OR Chilli with sour cream and cheese too!
- Why not mix some corn beef in with your baked potato and double bake it for a tasty corn beef hash. @needaphone
- Another way for both kids and adults is to make pepperoni pizza jacket potato – a winner every time! Adults can add chilli oil on top to spice it all up! @coxeefoxy
- Prawns in Marie Rose sauce is also delicious and a light alternative to pair with your jacket potato. @Thrifty_Mumma_
- Do posh pizza, with mozzarella & cheddar over pesto with pepperoni or bacon on top. Add some black pepper to complete. @Robynthebobbin
- Chili cheese jacket potatoes are the best! Scoop out the cooked potato once baked and mix with siracha, cheddar cheese, soft cheese , bacon and seasoning before popping back in the oven with a sprinkling of cheddar. @twannywun
- I made homemade Italian meatballs in a chunky tomato sauce to go with pasta but my son likes to have his on a hot buttery jacket potato instead. I have to admit it looks delicious lol! @Tantrums2Smiles
- BBQ sauce, chicken and cheese — it’s hunters chicken on a hot jacket. @Peggle86
- Love tuna and sweetcorn, but cottage cheese and chives is also yummy. @c_kedge
- We love our jacket potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil, caramelised red onion, crumbled bacon and fresh spinach. I throw the spinach on the potato just when it’s out of the oven — it wilts to perfection @JHowze
— Debbie Roche (@DebbieRoche9) February 9, 2021
Using up leftovers and leftover jacket potatoes
If you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch without too much effort then topping your jacket with leftovers is a brilliant option. So whether it’s last nights chilli or an extra portion of curry in the freezer, a jacket potato makes a great hot lunch. Plus if you cook extra jacket potatoes you can also store them in the fridge or freezer for another day.
— claire (@sweetlifeclaire) February 9, 2021
- Leftover jacket potato goes great in a bubble and squeak! @Vickydoo
- Veggie curry leftovers are always great and complement a jacket potato really well….the curry flavours infuse for longer and taste better as leftovers – it’s the perfect match for a jacket potato. @Ms_Kiwi_Su
- Leftovers from the Sunday roast goes well with jacket potatoes such as gravy, roasted chicken etc. @carsandtractors
- Sooo good for using up leftovers. Nice with spicy vegetable pasta sauce. @missielizzieb
- I also like to cook a large batch of potatoes in the slow cooker wrapped in foil and then freeze the potatoes that don’t get eaten for a quick lunch. @ZMatthewman
- Leftover coronation chicken — the combo of the piping hot potato & cold coronation chicken is absolutely fabulous. @Reefy_Roo
- Beef Stew is a must too. @sophietrufshuf
- Turn your jacket potato into a mini fish pie. @Needaphone
- Although I’m not vegan/vegetarian, we do have weekly meatless meals! A left over spicy dhal is super good on jacket potatoes @CoxeeFoxy
Connect with us
Join the conversation and connect with us on our social channels. Ask us your cooking questions, let us know what you think of our recipes, share pictures and videos of your jacket potato dishes and tag us in your posts with #JacketPotatoHacks and #LovePotatoes.